I shared a little about Sam in one my previous newsletters, but I thought this would be a good opportunity to tell his whole story. We met Sam when the UCLA team was here; we were handing out free coffee to students and he stopped for a coffee and ended up hanging out with us the rest of the day. We got to know him pretty well as he spent a lot of time with us and the UCLA team. He grew up in a Christian family, and had a solid Christian community back home, but he's moved around a lot and, unfortunately, quickly lost that community. After getting to know us, seeing how we lived our lives, and being a part of our community, Sam said that he felt close to God again, and wanted to re-dedicate his life to Him. It was so encouraging for all of us to see the true desires of his heart and how he wants to pursue after God. It was also a sweet reminder for me personally. I came to Australia to see God change lives. I guess I always had this idea somewhere in the back of my mind that this would mean non-Christians finding their fulfillment in Christ... not that this idea was wrong, it was just a pretty limited scope of how God might choose to use me. Meeting Sam was a sweet reminder that my desire to see lives changed could also mean helping struggling Christians find some community.
Be praying for Sam: that he would continue to pursue after Jesus and deepen his relationship with Him, that he would find a solid community (whether it be Student Life or not) that is able to help him grow, and that he would truly desire to know the truth of the Bible. He's a wonderful guy with such a sweet heart; he's been a true joy to hang out with!

Sam and I
IT'S JEFF LEWIS!!!! Haha. Just kidding. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear what God's doing through you! Love love love you!