Saturday, December 18, 2010

Things I won't miss

One thing I won't miss about Aussies is them being ok with shallow relationships. It's unusual for Aussies to go deep and share "real" things with their mates, which is fine, and I understand to some extent. But I'm amazed at how people can be friends for so long and not share anything real. An Aussies friends are generally very important to them, which I love, but I'm not sure how that goes hand-in-hand with not having any depth to those relationships.

Another thing I won't miss about Australia is their love of beetroot. They put it on everything, and it's always available in abundance. We had it out everyday for sandwiches on summer project, and the smell alone was always a little nauseating to me. I will say though, I did find one beetroot thing that I liked. The Aussie girl on our team, Elly, makes a beetroot hummus that is really good. But the beetroot flavor in it is pretty minimal. And for all my Office fans... generally all I could think about was Dwight... "bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica" :)

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I just posted about beets because my mom got the ones from Trader Joe's that are already peeled and stuff.

    And about relationships--I think sometimes Americans can do the same thing with relationships, but we don't like to make it known that don't get deep with each other. At least Aussies are being honest?

    ReplyDelete