Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Unexpected Lessons

In staff meeting the other day Adam lead us through a devo that had us reflect a bit on this past year... what we've seen the Lord do, things that we've learned, things that were hard and things that were good. One of the questions he asked was "What are some things that you've learned here that you're going to take home with you?" Most of the team answered in terms of things that they've learned through doing ministry here, but I was actually thinking about the things that being a part of Aussie culture has taught me.

Being immersed into Aussie culture has really brought out certain parts of my personality. I have always tried to be hospitable, but seeing how Aussies are so open with their homes and giving of their possessions made me expand my definition of what hospitality means. I've always valued taking time to rest, but in the ever fast-paced American culture, it was hard to find people that understood that, let alone value it like I do. Being a part of Aussie culture has reminded me just how important taking time to rest can be, whether it be for a few minutes for a morning tea break or stopping work at 5 to have the rest of the night off. I have always known that these things are a part of who I am and things that I value, but living in Australia and being a part of the culture here has really allowed these things to flourish.

I knew that I would learn a lot from being immersed into Aussie culture, I just don't think I was expecting to learn so much about my own personality. And not only have I learned things about myself, but I've also learned a lot about the Lord through my time here. I'm so grateful that He chose this culture to teach me more about Himself.

Heaps of love,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment