Our team leader Jimmy often talks about the different "hats" that we wear in our jobs. There are so many different aspects to our job, so many different roles that we are aiming to fulfill. I had a perfect example of this on Thursday. We did a pancake outreach on Thursday at Ballarat, just loving on the students there and giving them some free pancakes. It was a blast, we met a lot of new people and just got the name of Student Life out there. One minute I was figuring out how to get a fairly dodgy barbie down 3 flights of stairs, the next minute I was talking to heaps of different students about a wide variety of topics (ranging from why we were doing this and who Student Life is to the music on last week's Glee episode), and the next minute I was talking to Leighton, the head of the Ballarat Student Association, about club funding and how clubs like Student Life add to the atmosphere and culture of the uni. As I was talking to Leighton, I almost started laughing. I kept thinking to myself that 5 minutes ago I was down on the main part of campus flipping pancakes and telling students about Student Life, and now I'm up in the Student Association office talking about the inner workings of the uni. I went from wearing a very casual, hey-come-be-my-friend hat, to a very professional, representing-our-club-to-the-head-of-the-student-association hat.
We can put on so many of these different "hats" throughout the day. Sometimes it's overwhelming, sometimes it's just funny, but most of the time I absolutely love it. It keeps me on my toes, makes me extremely aware of my surroundings and who I'm talking to, and stretches me in ways that most jobs wouldn't. It's a bit crazy at times, but I wouldn't trade it for anything :)
From the friendly I-miss-you-all-heaps hat,
Michelle
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment